For my friends.

The reason for this blog is twofold. Firstly, to share my wonderful experiences with you at your leisure and to keep me feeling in touch with you during my long absence from home. If any of you find a way to type an Aussie accent, I would be really appreciative! Don't forget to check out "older posts" at the bottom.

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy it from time to time.

Carmel

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I saw some of suburban Beaverton in daylight yesterday and it looks like something out of the movies - maybe "Desperate Housewives". Lots of lovely winding streets, lovely gardens, trees in blossom and people out mowing their lawns. I can't work out why all the houses have such large numbers. My measly 20 seems very strange in this context. We went to a huge organic store last night. It was about the size of my local Woolworths. It had some other groceries besides produce but we bought some organic meat for me (Sue is vegetarian) and lots of fruit and vegetables.

Sue's house is amazing - it's like living in an art gallery. Walls, shelves an any spare space are covered with large and small pieces of art. Every time I turn around I notice something else astonishing. A lifetime of collecting and appreciating beautiful things. It's absolutely amazing and wonderful.

It's a beautiful day here so I'm about to go out walking. Sue tells me it rains a lot just like Ireland so I had better make the most of it. No heating in the house today an I'm fine with just a pullover on.

Thinking of home all the time. Yesterday, I was asked what my accent was and of course they guessed English. When I suggested they think of another English speaking country, silence. We just don't exist over here. Quaint !?*

Lotsaluv to all

Carmel

No comments: