For my friends.

The reason for this blog is twofold. Firstly, to share my wonderful experiences with you at your leisure and to keep me feeling in touch with you during my long absence from home. If any of you find a way to type an Aussie accent, I would be really appreciative! Don't forget to check out "older posts" at the bottom.

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy it from time to time.

Carmel

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Athabaskan Fiddling Festival

What do Alaskans do when the weather is numbingly cold and the nights are long?  There's a limit to how many times you can play Monopoly or watch your favourite movie or play cards or play games online.  After a couple of weeks of that, it's time to come up with something that brings people together, that's lots of fun, that gets the blood flowing (in addition to doing Tai Chi, of course) and gives folk an outlet for their talents.  The Athabaskans have the perfect solution.  When the days are nearing their shortest and the winter temperatures have set in, they hold a Fiddling Festival in Fairbanks and they really let their hair down - young and old, very young and the young at heart.








It's an important date in the Cultural Calendar of Fairbanks.

No comments: