For my friends.

The reason for this blog is twofold. Firstly, to share my wonderful experiences with you at your leisure and to keep me feeling in touch with you during my long absence from home. If any of you find a way to type an Aussie accent, I would be really appreciative! Don't forget to check out "older posts" at the bottom.

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy it from time to time.

Carmel

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Amazing Alaska.


And so I returned to Alaska with very fond memories of 2010.  That visit and the people I met had inspired me to return for a different experience.  The tales of extreme cold and short days seemed so incredible to a tropical girl that I wanted to experience it for myself.

Alaska is like nothing else.  It is so different from any other place.  The lifestyle and the people are shaped by the climate.  The people are fiercely proud of their state, it's wildlife and ecology and the way they live their lives.  Many people, probably most people, say "I came here for a few weeks/ a summer/ a contract and never went home. It gets you in, no doubt about it.  However, life in Alaska is not easy for people, animals and plants.  Like our deserts, it's a tough place to survive; and like our deserts, it is stunningly beautiful.  I went to this place with two major goals: to have a snow and ice experience and to see the Northern lights and I certainly achieved both.  Wow lucky me!

It took me more than twelve hours to make it from home to Fairbanks, Alaska.  Sue and I were departing on the same morning for different destinations: me to Alaska and she to Africa.  Having had her fair dose of short cold days, Sue decided to fly half way across the world for a dose of Kenyan summer and wildlife.  Her flight departed a couple of hours before mine but it was to a Portland airport we went at 5 am.  OMG!  Breakfast together at the airport and off she went to exotic places while I caught up on Aussie news online.  Then it was my turn to fly to Seattle and then to Fairbanks.

I didn't have a lot of time in Seattle but I opted for a massage instead of lunch and then rushed to the departure gate.  Flight delayed.  Goody, time for a snack.  Finally loaded and off we went, a three hour flight to Fairbanks and a nap on the way.  However, I couldn't sleep.  Too excited.  Alaska here I come.

The next morning I opened my window and




...it had snowed during the night.  Oh joy! Oh bliss!  I ate breakfast and headed off for Safeway to buy some snacks.  I could see it from my window and it was just a short walk.  OK it's been snowing so it's cold. Put on lots of warm clothes and off we go.  Tramp through snow.  Yes it is cold.  Skate across the ice on the road.  Be careful.  Great, I know where I am.  There's the Taoist Tai Chi Society.  Now I know where to go on Monday.  Nice and close to the hotel.


Gosh !*# it really is cold.  Everything hurts.  Better beat a hasty retreat back to the warm hotel.  Never mind.  I'll acclimatise.


What on earth is this?  The cars are all plugged in and they have things coming out of the front.  How very strange!  Ah, so that's how they keep warm enough to start.  If the cars need little heaters, well so do I.  Get warm quick!  It's getting dark too.  Is it that late already?

Back in my room and finally starting to thaw out, I look out the window again and notice there are very few people on the street - only cars.  Lesson number one, even the locals don't walk in this, they drive.  Silly me.

Opposite the hotel is a beautiful Art Deco building.  Formerly government offices, now private offices.








No comments: