For my friends.

The reason for this blog is twofold. Firstly, to share my wonderful experiences with you at your leisure and to keep me feeling in touch with you during my long absence from home. If any of you find a way to type an Aussie accent, I would be really appreciative! Don't forget to check out "older posts" at the bottom.

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy it from time to time.

Carmel

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Portland - thanks for the memories. 3.

A group of Sue's friends get together every fortnight.  They take turns to host a dinner at their place and it's a pot luck night.  It was Sue's turn recently and I wanted to do something a bit different for them because they had welcomed me into their homes and the group so readily.  So I did something that is really not so adventurous in Oz - I made lammies.  It wasn't as straight forward as it might seem because they don't have Self Raising Flour here and my attempts at making my own were downright disgusting so I had to cheat and buy a cake mix.  Also you need room for the assembly line of dipping, rolling and drying and I had to do a bit of improvising there.  Anyway, they got made and I think they were enjoyed.  There were enough left over for everyone to take them home.  I was so pleased to be able to do something to return their hospitality.

Last weekend Sue and I went to a Pow Wow and it was great fun.  I didn't know what to expect except loud drums and costumes with feathers.  It is a very large gathering of Indian tribes from various places and it turns out that it is also a competition of Indian dancers and their interpretation of traditional dances.  It's also a way for them to promote their culture, display and sell their traditional crafts and to come together regularly.  We didn't arrive until early afternoon and so the place was filling up fast.  The large parking area looked nearly full and I expected a bit of a walk from the car to the venue.  We stopped at the entrance and this man (who was not a spring chicken himself, may I add) said into his two way radio, "Two elders in a small green car." and blithely waved us on.  I was beside myself with indignation.  How dare he say something like that, even if it is true!  Sue was busy calming me down saying that, in their culture, elders are respected and just wait and see what eventuates.  We were ushered from one parking attendant to another until we were directed to park just a hop, skip and a jump from the venue.  "See", gloated Sue.  I still haven't quite adjusted to being an elder though.



The Grand Parade was still happening when we arrived and it was wonderful to see everyone out there showing their pride in their culture.    A grandmother was pushing her grand children in a pram.  An elderly lady was being supported by family.  Babies were being carried around.  Children in costume were skipping in and out of the participants.  It was a relaxed celebration of an important part of their identity.  .... and all the time this incredible drumming.  It was loud and and somehow had a very familiar and primal rhythm to it.  People who were obviously very familiar with all of this moved their feet in time with the drums almost oblivious to the fact they were doing it.



There were also many stalls selling various sorts of Indian crafts.  Some of it was stunning.  Being one to never walk past a nice piece of pottery that required admiration, I was particularly taken with a piece in Sue's hot little hands.  I knew I couldn't buy it but it was very nice indeed and deserved an appreciative home where it would be well cared for.  Sue wasn't sure because it wasn't coiled and it wasn't real Hopi pottery even though the design was Hopi and where would she put it and and and so I put it out of my mind.  However, much later, she said, "I don't know what to do about that pottery."  So we went back and it was still there.  She picked it up, spoke to the lady who made it some more, checked it out once again and again and again.  "I don't know what to do", she said.  So I said "Go on buy it."  And she did. And now it's my fault she has another beautiful piece in her house.  What are friends for?


My little Tai Chi companion.
So in a few days, it will be farewell to Portland.  It is a beautiful city and there is still so much more of it that I haven't explored.  I've been so lucky to base here with Sue and to learn about her life over here.  In one way, I'm sad to be leaving but I'm very excited about what awaits in Turkey and then moving on back home.

Cheers for a few weeks until I'm back in Oz.  Love yas all.

Dr L


Home sweet home away from home.

1 comment:

Denise said...

thanks for taking me with you on this hoiday of a lifetime
i ca'nt wait for Turkey
keep safe and hav FUN
Denise