For my friends.

The reason for this blog is twofold. Firstly, to share my wonderful experiences with you at your leisure and to keep me feeling in touch with you during my long absence from home. If any of you find a way to type an Aussie accent, I would be really appreciative! Don't forget to check out "older posts" at the bottom.

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy it from time to time.

Carmel

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Up,up and away.


Calves from Bear Glacier

Having decided I was a true Alaskophile, heading into our last day was not a good feeling.  Just near the Trail Lake Lodge was a light plane flight operator who had said he would give our group, probably any group, a cut rate if we could make up the numbers and fly us over the glaciers and icefield.  One of our members bit the bullet and organised the whole thing and I was one of the brave souls who went up.  The aviation industry in Alaska is very busy in summer and also has its share of accidents but I couldn't miss this opportunity for one last hurrah.

The flight took us from Seward, down Resurrection Bay, up Aialik Bay, around the glacier, over the Harding Icefields and down the other side and then back to Seward and it was stunning.

Seward from the air.




A secluded little beach.







Aialik Glacier from the air.




 A black bear with the beach all to himself.


Up and over Aialik Glacier.










Part of the 100 acres of the Harding Icefield.




And down the other side.











A grizzly patrolling for salmon.
Click on the photo.









What a fabulous holiday.





No comments: