For my friends.

The reason for this blog is twofold. Firstly, to share my wonderful experiences with you at your leisure and to keep me feeling in touch with you during my long absence from home. If any of you find a way to type an Aussie accent, I would be really appreciative! Don't forget to check out "older posts" at the bottom.

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy it from time to time.

Carmel

Monday, August 23, 2010

The Congress.

My excuse/reason for coming to Vancouver was to attend the International Congress for Educators of the Deaf (ICED).  It is held every two years in different venues around the world.  We had one in Sydney and the next one will be held in Greece.  Hmm!  Very tempting.  I'd love to return to Greece.  However, Sue and I have plans which include polar bears so that one may not happen.  The spirit says OH YES!!!!! but the finances are not healthy enough for both and my education about polar bears is very sadly lacking.  I feel the need to be a more rounded person in the field of polar bears.

I always find big conferences, like ICED, very overwhelming and this one was no exception.  I think I knew two people there.  However it is fantastic to see the the number of countries represented and all the different interpreters using all the different sign languages and all the technologies in use.  There were people there from many different African nations, Greece, Italy, Poland, China and Japan, Indonesia, New Guinea and so the list goes on.  I think there were about ten people from Australia and a contingent from New Zealand.  The English and the Dutch are always strong contributers and there were many people from Canada and the US.  The whole thing was organised down to the micro detail and ran like clockwork.

Just the spot to warm up.
The air conditioning was freezing and I had to duck outside in all the breaks to thaw out in the sun, all the while trying to avoid the smokers who were outside for a different purpose.


I have found in the past that I am drawn to the pragmatic, unadorned work presented by the speakers from England and surprised and enthused by the innovative work presented by the speakers from Holland and this congress was no different.  However, there is no doubt that the papers presented were all of a high standard and contributed greatly to the congress.  I took copious notes mainly because i don't trust my memory and the Proceedings will not be available until next Spring Canada time.

For me there were two highlights of the congress.  The first highlight was on the first day and the second was on the last day.  I wasn't aware that it was going to happen and so wasn't sure what to make of it at first.  A few people will be aware that in the 1800s at a world congress of teachers of the deaf in Milan, a resolution as passed to ban the use of Sign Language in educational institutions around the world and so it happened.  One of the consequences of this was that a cornerstone of Deaf communities and a source of pride in their identity, their own language, was undermined and devalued for many decades.  At this congress, an apology was offered to the Deaf community and accepted by them.  It was all done beautifully and it was a memorable moment for all those who attended.



Te second highlight for me was the last Keynote Address which was delivered by Dr Breda Carty, a Deaf woman from Australia.  In her address, she took us through some Deaf history and the outcomes of those incidents for Deaf people.  She analysed and interpreted Deaf history and looked to the present and the future and offered ways for everyone to move forward with the best outcomes for all.  It was a spellbinding presentation for which she received a long, standing ovation.  Other than being so very interesting, her presentation was also very Deaf friendly with great material in her PowerPoint presentation to support what she was saying.

And soon it was all over, we all dispersed and it was time to explore some more.


No comments: