For my friends.

The reason for this blog is twofold. Firstly, to share my wonderful experiences with you at your leisure and to keep me feeling in touch with you during my long absence from home. If any of you find a way to type an Aussie accent, I would be really appreciative! Don't forget to check out "older posts" at the bottom.

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy it from time to time.

Carmel

Friday, May 28, 2010

Schreiner's Iris Gardens.






Hello Everyone

I must be getting old.  I really enjoyed this afternoon.  As irises are my favourite flowers, Sue took me to Salem to see these gardens on the 24th May Australian time.  Not being a gardener and certainly not knowing much about irises, I was blown away by these gardens.  Apparently Schreiners export all over the world and their land holdings are enormous.  They develop and test new varieties of irises and their gardens are open to the public for about a month a year.  It had hailed the day before and we were ducking in and out of showers of rain but, as you can see, it was still an amazing place.  I took so many photos of different irises that I can't even choose which ones were my favourites so I'll chooses a few at random.  The rain wasn't really a problem because there was a wine tasting tent to keep us entertained during the showers.  Sue bought a bunch of twelve different Irises for my birthday and they're still going strong with more blooms coming out each day.  They are just amazing.  I hope you enjoy looking at them too.  We went home and drank champagne and then the next day we went out to dinner to celebrate my birthday in the US.  So I got to celebrate for two days.  How lucky is that!  We went to a cute little Italian restaurant in Beaverton and had lovely food and an enjoyable night.

Lotsaluv

Carmel


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carmel
What a wonderful time you are having. We are all drearily plodding on here with the same old, same old. I too love irises (irisi) and would love to have an oasis of a pond surrounded by them - ah one day, in another climate. All is well here, the Ada and Jenelle are doing well, Ada in particular is off an running. We have booked our flights to Rome - so we have plans too - keep having fun
Paula