For my friends.

The reason for this blog is twofold. Firstly, to share my wonderful experiences with you at your leisure and to keep me feeling in touch with you during my long absence from home. If any of you find a way to type an Aussie accent, I would be really appreciative! Don't forget to check out "older posts" at the bottom.

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy it from time to time.

Carmel

Saturday, June 25, 2011

The big 6O.


When I was a teenager, I could imagine myself being forty,  Fifty seemed a long way away.  And sixty was nearly at death's door.  Well, I made it and, as far as I can tell, I am a long way from the grim reaper.  There's a lot to celebrate and a lot more to achieve.  After many ups and downs, I am currently at a point in my life where I feel at peace and proud of what I have made of my life.

Of all the things to celebrate, love and friendship are some of the best and good health comes a close second and, for me, they go hand in hand.  Support from family and friends has been so important to me at different times.  And so I felt a strong need to celebrate with many of the important people in my life.

The celebrations started with a surprise high tea at the Stamford Plaza from my friends at Warrigal Rd.  I was blown away.  I don't see them very often so it was an extra treat to spend a few hours with them and remember the joys of working with a staff and the wonderful/sick sense of humour from those days.  It was an afternoon full of laughs and wicked food in a delightful setting by the Brisbane River and spent with wonderful friends.  One of the highlights was a poem written by Heather in her own inimitable style and exposing me for my inability to cope with others' short comings.  (Inside joke, I'm sorry)  Such a lovely birthday surprise and I'd always wanted to go to a high tea.


A few days later, on the actual day, I was treated to another celebration by the staff at my base. This time it was in a less glamorous setting (it is Education Queensland after all) but there was plenty of homemade warmth and yummy food  in abundance.  Despite her protestations that it was a culinary failure, Colleen's birthday cake was the best and I, for one, enjoyed every crumb. 


Note the birthday crown.

Not to be outdone by Heather's brilliance, Julie had worked late into the previous night polishing her own poetic masterpiece.  This time Julie highlighted some more lofty qualities (I think it was about me) - I am a Gemini, after all.  Thank you so much, everyone at Taigum ECDP, it was a warm, loving afternoon. 



The crew at Taigum.








The rest was up to me.  I had thought about various ways of sharing my celebrations with others but, in the end, I wanted to do it in my own home.  The date was set, invitations were sent ,the menu was decided upon, drinks organised, seating planned and helpers at hand.  What have I forgotten?  Too late now.

It was a memorable night for me and I hope for others too.  I felt surrounded by warmth and well wishes.  The house was full of friends, laughter and flowers.  And all the time, thinking of my sister Ann.



Too much food, of course.
  







Someone commented on the diversity of my friends and I guess that is one reason why I feel so lucky. 

The Markey kids.

The action in the kitchen.






The younger generation.


The helpers who kept everything going.



So here we are.  The party's over but the memories are here for ever.  Thank you everyone for making my milestone such a happy one.

And......
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
just let me know when you think it's time for a facelift........








Stay tuned for the poetic accolades.











No comments: