For my friends.

The reason for this blog is twofold. Firstly, to share my wonderful experiences with you at your leisure and to keep me feeling in touch with you during my long absence from home. If any of you find a way to type an Aussie accent, I would be really appreciative! Don't forget to check out "older posts" at the bottom.

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy it from time to time.

Carmel

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The last hurrah.


Selcuk was our last port of call before returning to Istanbul and then departing for our respective homes. It seems like a nice city not too big but big enough to have plenty of interesting things to do. However, one specifically interesting activity for us was to have a Turkish bath. It’s possible to have a Turkish bath just about everywhere but this is where Caitlin and I bonded on a very personal level – we went for a Turkish bath. I’m sure you’ll be pleased to know that I have no photos to put on the blog.

We had been toying with the idea of having a Turkish bath since first arriving in Istanbul but somehow didn’t get around to it as we moved from place to place. However, we met an Aussie at Ephesus and then for dinner. She had been for a Turkish bath the day before and sang its praises.


And you think I look bad before the Turkish bath!

This was our last chance. Will we? Won’t we? Neither of us was brave enough to go alone. OK, let’s do it. Our friend, Vera, took us around and there was no backing out. Yes we did it and you’ll have to speak to us individually to get all the gory details except to say it was very hot and a little personal. So much so that, when we returned to the hotel, Sue laughed and laughed at the sight of us and the expressions on our faces.



For better or for worse, this is the end of my blog about my holiday of a lifetime. It has been an extraordinary adventure and I know I’m one of the luckiest people in the world having the opportunity to spend the best part of six months seeing countless new and fascinating things, meeting interesting people, receiving kindness and hospitality, doing things I had never done before, taking myself out of my comfort zone and having lots of laughs and fun. In fact, I can’t find the words to truely describe my feelings about it all. No wonder I’m finding it so hard to settle in to my life in Brisbane again.


So it’s goodbye…..







                                                                                                             ……………….. until the next time.

4 comments:

FURIC said...

Jean-Louis FURIC

What a surprise for me to read your holidays

Carmel Markey said...

Hello Jean-Louis. Yes it is a big surprise and a lovely surprise. How are you and what are you doing?

Happy Christmas to you and your family and all the best wishes for a happy New Year.

Carmel

Unknown said...

Happy Christmas (with snow here) and happy New Year

Jean-Louis

Carmel Markey said...

Just back from a lovely Christmas celebration with friends. It's raining and quite humid. Enjoy your white Christmas

Carmel