For my friends.

The reason for this blog is twofold. Firstly, to share my wonderful experiences with you at your leisure and to keep me feeling in touch with you during my long absence from home. If any of you find a way to type an Aussie accent, I would be really appreciative! Don't forget to check out "older posts" at the bottom.

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy it from time to time.

Carmel

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Rockies train trip.



I spent a lovely day in Jasper - some of it in sunshine and some in rain.  Some of the houses are built above and below ground.  I'm guessing it's for insulation.  My own hotel had an interesting configuration.  The rooms were in a U shape around a big fire place and restaurant at one end and a heated swimming pool at the other end.  Maybe I should have used it when there was no hot water the next morning!

The town is smaller than Bamff but is a rail centre for the area and so has a feel of a real place with real people.  I shouted myself to a nice Greek (couldn't resist the aromas as I walked past) meal and a drink. I was very hungry and felt as if I could eat a horse (or an elk or a bison or a deer but not a bear).


There are some lovely old buildings in Jasper.  The first ranger's house and the train station are among them.  Because it was raining at first, I went to a museum that had all the local wildlife (stuffed) and once again revisited the difference between elk, deer, moose and caribou.  Just when I think I have them sorted out, someone says something that makes me question it all over again.  There was a shop that sold north western crafts and I think I could have been tempted to sell my soul for some of them.  So beautiful.  Handcuffs might be the go in Alaska.

And then it was time for what I came all this way for - my train trip through the Rockies.  It all started very well with my lift to the station from a charming Frenchman who kept hugging me and then on to the train.  I had to laugh when I saw my single sleeper - certainly not room to swing a cat but a marvel in economy of space.  I guess the floor space was about 1 1/2 metres by 1 1/2 metres and it contained a seat, a pull down bed, a toilet and a basin AND a little basket of goodies with soap, shampoo etc as well as ear plugs.  How very considerate.










And so my adventure began.  The train was built in the 1950s and so does not have all the modern conveniences and, like my experiences on Amtrak, seems to have a tradition about it.  I went up to the viewing cabin and it was great. We were greeted with champagne.  Ooee, very nice!  I met a girl (like I'm a girl) from Germany.  Her name was Dorothy and she too was traveling alone.  We had some good chats about Germany and Australia and took lots of photos of trees.  As you can see from this picture, although we were up higher than the train, we still were not higher than the trees and just when you thought you had a great shot lined up another ridge of trees rushed past.  Everyone was in the same boat.  You had to shoot and hope for the best.  Dorothy had been on the train since Toronto so she knew the drum well and truly.  She had stopped taking photos of trees.  

So more mountains rivers and waterfalls.  All stunning.  But I got pretty sick of lodge pole pine trees!













I had dinner with a Canadian couple who would not for love nor money believe that Australians say "Eh" too.  I did notice some of our sayings in their colloquialisms which you would never hear in the US.  Must be the English influence

OK problem solving time.  Time for bed (but still daylight).  How to organise suitcase, clothes and bed all in that space.  I decided to postpone any cognitive activity and went down the hall for a shower -very small one.  Then it was time for thinking -HELP!  So I worked backwards.  If I put my luggage under the seat (which would become a bed), then I could pull the bed down.  But then I couldn't access the toilet or the suitcase.  So get every thing out of suitcase, do what ever needs to be done, hang up clothes for tomorrow so I don't look like a tramp, put suitcase under seat and pull down bed. Phew!  But I forgot my book.  Can I go to sleep without reading?  Um.  No I can't.  So put up bed, pull out suitcase, take out book, put suitcase under seat, pull down bed and crawl in.  Glad I'm not 6 feet tall.  However, for my purposes the bed was very comfortable, the sheets were lovely and fresh and the pillows fluffy.  I didn't need the earplugs.  Just as well because I would have had to put the bed up again!

I woke up in time to see the sun coming up but the rhythm of the train was very relaxing.  The train stopped somewhere in the middle of the night and smokers were advised of the stop but I didn't avail myself of that.  Imagine having to do the bed thing again and I'm sure the world can do without the sight of me standing on the platform in my pyjamas looking miserable and cold.  I think it was Kamloops.

Being on a train is a bit like being on a plane, you just sit around until the next meal and the meals were yummy.  The staff on the train were really friendly and helpful and cheerful and I have to say that the passengers were too.  The attendants were very helpful with tips for getting around Vancouver and what not to miss.

A few more snow capped mountains etc and we were heading for Vancouver.  Of all days for the train to be an hour early.  And Vancouver did not put on her best face to welcome me.



No comments: